A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.


Monday, August 25, 2014

10 Books That Have Touched Me

There is a post going around Facebook these days, asking people to name 10 books that have touched them deeply. I can't remember if they are supposed to be novels, or nonfiction, or a combination. At any rate, I didn't respond, and now of course, I can't find it. But it did get me to thinking about what books have touched me through the years, and I thought I'd share my 10 with you. My list is a mixture of fiction and non-fiction.

One person commented on Facebook that these always reminded her of the old chain letters and she didn't want to respond. My thought on that was isn't that, basically, what Facebook is? An updated and modern version of the old chain letter? At any rate, I'm always looking for new books to read, so please feel free to share your 10 (or whatever number) with me via Comments.

1. Wizard of the Pigeons, by Megan Lindholm. I first read this book maybe 30 years or so ago, and it changed how I look at people in a most positive way. Especially "street" people. I guarantee if you can find a copy, and read it, it will change your view of life, too. I'm just now re-reading it for the 4th or 5th time)

2. Dune, (the series) by Frank Herbert. So many aspects of these books touched me, besides being a fun series. I think I've read them 5 or 6 (7??) times. They are my "thumb sucking" books – you know, when life throws me lemons, and no sugar for lemonade, I curl in a corner and escape to Arrakis.

3. Illusions, by Richard Bach. I read this book probably once a year. I have incorporated many of his philosophies into my life. And am working on the rest.

4. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. A truly excellent book on the meaning of sisterhood.

5. Places Left Unfinished at the Moment of Creation, by John Phillip Santos. As I reached the end of this memoir, I started parsing the pages, then the paragraphs, and finally the sentences so that I could delay reaching the end. A beautiful book! He's a marvelous writer.

6. The Tao of Women, by Pamela K. Metz & Jacqueline L. Tobin. The Tao Te Ching reinterpreted for the feminine mind. It stays on my desk, within easy reach. Yes, I use it often, especially in my writing.

7. The Art of War, by Sun Tzu (or Sun Wu, if you prefer). I have several copies of this book, and have read them all. Each time, I'm touched by something I hadn't noticed before, and each time I learn something new. For being a master of war, I have the distinct feeling he'd prefer peace.

8. The Pern, books by Anne McCaffery. When I can cry over the death of a fictional 'watch wher' you know I'm touched. I mean, I've been touched. Oh, never mind. Great books.

9. Cloven Hooves, by Megan Lindholm. I absolutely love this book. One of the best love stories I've ever read. Not a romance, not by any stretch of your imagination, but a beautiful story of Love, in its true meaning and sense.

10. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie. I've read almost everything he's published. I love his poems, I love Fistfight, but this book is perhaps his most touching, at least for me. I have no idea why it upsets so many people; it's a beautiful and well-told story about what it's like to be brought up on today's reservation. It should be required reading for all kids and their parents!

10.1 Roads, by Seabury Quinn. This is a novella, and if you've got lots of money, you may still be able to find a single copy edition somewhere, and someone willing to sell it. My copy is in an old magazine, and I am NOT willing to sell it. Roads is the best, most touching, Christmas story I've read. Ever. And I don't even celebrate Christmas!


And there you have it. My list of 10 books that have touched me in one form or another and all in positive ways. Because I like to read, and do so every chance I get, my list is subject to change without notice. Also, you may have noticed I'm not real good in the numbers department ;-) And if you'd like to know what books I've read, and what I thought of them, check out my Rainy Day Reads blog at http://lenoragood.blogspot.com. I seldom review a book I didn't really care for--I seldom finish a book I don't care for--though now and then I do. And what books have touched you? Please, tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment