A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Two More Quilts and then....

I had two more UFOs to quilt, and decided to make Summer Quilts out of them. A summer quilt is one without the batt, for those nights when it's too cool for just a sheet, but too warm for a real quilt or blanket. The Red Hibiscus is my memory quilt for my mother—red hibiscus was her favorite flower. I was in the fabric store when the clerk put the bolt of that fabric back on the shelf right in front of me. I don't think her hand was off the bolt before mine was on. I had NO idea what I was going to do with it, so bought 3 yards and hoped it was enough. It was, and I have some left over ;-)
Red Hibiscus

The other quilt is a whole cloth quilt. Again, in wandering through another fabric store, I found this piece on sale, and it was too bright to pass up. It was a piece, so it was buy it all, or buy nothing. I bought it all, and cut it in half. I have enough to make a second quilt, just by adding borders, and I think they will go nicely on my twin beds, don't you?

Whole Cloth
After getting these two quilted, and the edging sewn on (machine edging only) I folded and stacked the dozen quilts that will need hand sewing and got busy cleaning and dusting. My, my, my (as my favorite detective of the day, Lt. Joe Kenda, would say) but quilting certainly adds dust to the house. It took 2.5 days to get the house if not cleaned, at least de-cluttered ;-)

Then, it was time to pack books into the car, buy a collapsible 2-wheel cart to carry the box of books, get laundry done, the bed changed, the suitcase packed, and I was out of the house at 7.30 Friday morning. First stop was to fill Suvie Star Car's tank so she would get me to Albany, OR with a second stop at Campbell's BBQ on Powell Blvd at about 87th to meet a friend for lunch. I arrived about 5 minutes past 11, and he arrived about 11.15. For those traveling I-205 around Portland Town, let me tell you, this is an easy off-easy on stop, for some of the best BBQ I've had in a restaurant in ages. They have the usual beef, pork, and I think chicken, but the also have buffalo and elk! I had elk, my friend had buffalo. The red beans and rice were good, the greens not quite cooked enough to be truly soul, but pretty good. I imagine had I come a couple hours later, they would have been trop drawer! They had plenty of sides from which to choose, but those were mine!

Spent the night with my travel buddy, Kay, and Saturday drove about an hour back the way I'd come, to spend about 5 hours at the GeorgeKirby Gay family reunion to which I was invited, and asked to bring some of my Madame Dorion books, as one of her daughters by Jean Toupin was Gay's last wife. I sold some books, and made, I hope, some new friends.  Jennifer Gobin-Bales (a third great granddaughter of Marie by her daughter, Marguerite Venier) was there and brought her dad, Delbert. Someone thought it would be nice if he sat with me, and I'm so glad he agreed. What a hoot. We told stories and tall tales, and laughed a lot, and when I finally left, I was rewarded with a truly marvelous hug. Jennifer had best watch out, or I may end up adopting him myself!

Shortly before leaving Champoeg State Park, where the reunion was held, the descendants of George Gay gathered on the stage for a family photo, to which I was invited. It's nice to be part of another family. I left the park about 3.00 and headed back south on I-5, to meet up with Hwy 22, and took the North Santiam Pass to Bend, OR where my friend, Judith lives.

It has been about 60 years since I'd been to Champoeg State Park, and probably 55 since I'd been by Detroit Lake and across the North Santiam. My, my, my, how things have changed! I guess it's progress, but I'm not totally sure ;-)

Sunday Judith and I shopped at Trader Joe's—will the tri cities ever get a TJs??—where I did some shopping for a friend, and a tad bit for me, and then came on home. I put something like 750 miles on Suvie Star Car (fed her 3 times), and by the time I got home yesterday with only one pit stop, and one stop for a milk shake, I was totally worn out. I think this next week will be spent watching movies and reading books.

Speaking of movies, a highly recommended family movie: Nim's Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment