A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.


Monday, September 1, 2014

Writer's Block: One Solution

Writer's Block: One Solution

Do you ever suffer from Writer's Block? I can think of few things more frustrating, unless it's looking for the exact word you need and can't quickly find!

I'm fortunate in that I've never faced a blank page and wondered what to put on it, but I have faced a major Writer's Block and thought I'd share my solution. I imagine every writer faces Writer's Block at one time or another, of one type or another, and every writer has her own way to go over, around, or through the block. Here's mine.

A few years ago, I was just finishing a novel and knew I was within a couple of chapters of the end but I just couldn't get that ending to come. I fussed. I fretted. I went out to lunch with a gentleman I knew. He is a bit self-centered, and condescending, so we're no longer dating, but he did give me one piece of great advice. When he asked with his usual snideness how my novel was coming, I told him my problem, that I just wasn't getting the ending. In a very smart asterisk manner, he told me to send my character an email and let her email me back.

Yeah. Right. Hmmmmmmm?

So, that night, before I turned off the computer and went to bed, I wrote the protagonist a note and sent it to her in care of my email address, turned off the lights and went to bed for a sound sleep. The next morning I got up and in going through my emails came to the one I'd sent my character. Now, she obviously didn't respond. (Not sure I would have wanted that, actually) but suddenly, I saw the ending of the novel, and finished it that day. Or at least that draft.

The next time I saw my friend, I thanked him for his suggestion, and told him it worked. He was somewhat taken aback, and admitted he was being a smart asterisk with his response to me. "I know," I said, and smiled sweetly, "but it worked, and I thank you." We no longer date, so who knows what words of wisdom I'm missing, but that solution to my Writer's Block worked and I've not forgotten. It worked for me. It might work for you.


If you've ever faced Writer's Block, and found a way to unblock it, I'd love to read your experience. Maybe it will help some of the other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment