A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.


Monday, August 11, 2014

UFOs Are Mostly All Gone

Yes, I've been working my little fingers to the bone, but have just about gotten rid of all the UFOs. I have two more to dispatch today and tomorrow, and a third to start on, but it will take time.

Please remember the tops were done (except for one which will be explained later), so all I had to do was load it on the Beast Machine (aka Big Bertha), quilt it, find the fabric for the edging, cut that, stitch it together, and get it sewn by machine onto the quilt. All (that's kinda like that humongous word, IF, that's left to do is hold the quilt on my lap, turn and hand stitch the edging to the back, and tie off and 'pull' all the loose threads into the quilt so they don't show. Hand work like that is a cold weather project, when a warm quilt on the lap will feel good. NOT a triple-digit weather kind of fun thing to do ;-)

At any rate, here are some photos showing you what I've done. Yes, most of the UFOs are gone from my house – but it won't be long before they're back, disguised as different quilts!


All photos except those of Beast Machine were taken on a standard double bed to give you an idea of size.

These are Complete! Done! 

Into the Wild Blue Yonder -- Daddy's Memory Quilt






Horse Heaven Hills -- a paper pieced project; either a wall hanging or table runner
Summertime -- table runner

These quilts are ACOs (Almost Completed Objects) ;-)

A Little Bit of Sunshine, on the Beast Machine

A Little Bit of Sunshine

Memories of Martha on the Beast Machine
 Martha was my 'Other Mother' - I actually knew her longer than I knew my own Mom. She loved bright colors. This will go on my kitchen table when finished. (Removed when dining ;-) )


Memories of Martha



Warm, Raggedy Flowers

This is a ragged edge quilt, the squares of which I one at a quilt retreat a few years back, and those are raw seams you're seeing. Each square is quilted, and sewn to the others. The squares are flannel back and front, with a batt in the sandwich. I will need to sit and cut every quarter inch on each seam and each flower, half way to the seam. Then it must be washed, and then dried - in 5-10 minute increments as the fuzz is unbelievable, but when done, it will be soft and fluffy and very, very warm. Probably go in my Frog Room.

The colored squares are from a skirt my Grandfather, aka Skipper picked out for me when I was in 4th or 5th grade. My mother raised the hem, let the hem down, and I wore it until I couldn't wear it any more, and I saved it for years, because I just couldn't throw it away, or give it away. I finally made a quilt from it.
Skipper's Quilt

Snowballs from a kit

Hard Duty in Honolulu

When my Uncle Carl was in the Navy, in WWII on a troop ship heading for the South Pacific, a general announcement went out asking if anyone could type. Uncle Carl, being bored, allowed as how he could type, and his orders were summarily changed. Instead of going to the South Pacific to see battle, he was stationed in Honolulu where another of my Aunt and Uncle (in-laws to Carl) lived and 'took care of him.' Carl often talked about the flowers and how he loved them.

 This is a little table topper made of squares I won at a quilt retreat some years ago, and the leaves are all signed by whoever made the square.
Quilt Retreat Memories


Black and Gold
When I lived in Florida, 9 or so years ago, I tried my hand at paper piecing something. I was confined to the sofa with a broken ankle, so it was something to do, and I found this pattern in a book, and well, one must do something besides read (I did a lot of that, too). This, and the one above it, are both about 52 inches square.



No comments:

Post a Comment