A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.


Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow – Not ;-)

Here it is, the last day of 2014. The day when Old Lady Time hobbles off the stage as 2014, and Baby Eagerness 2015 bounces on the sidelines waiting for the crystal ball to drop and make her grand entrance.

Will I miss 2014? Not on your sweet bippy! Oh, it was a good year, don't get me wrong, but I'm excited to see what next year will bring. This year saw Marie published, I sold a couple of short stories and a poem, had a couple of radio dramas produced and aired, but hope to do better in 2015 ;-)

I finished my historical novel, Faction as some call it, fact-based fiction about Marie Dorion and her journey west. I read and reviewed 59 books. I read several more books that I did not review as they weren't yet published. Because I spent more time quilting than writing, I indulged in the luxury of reading mostly fiction. Consideration was given to listing the books, in order read, and I decided a long list would be boring, so if you want to go through my book blog to see what I spent my year reading, please feel free to do so. And if you've read any of the books, please leave comments. It's alright if we don't agree ;-) Rainy Day Reads

After going for about 6 months with Netflix Streaming, I realized I wasn't watching any movies at all, so went back to getting discs, and watched and reviewed 25 movies. I put a lot of discs in my player that, after 20 minutes I rejected them. I did not review those. Again, why bore you with a list when you can go to my movie blog to read my reviews. Again, your comments are always appreciated. Rainy Day Reviews

If you've been following this blog at all, you've seen photos of the quilt projects I've worked on, including the many UFOs (unfinished objects) I finished. I have decided not to make any more large (lap size and bigger) quilts, other than the kits I've already purchased and are waiting to be made. Instead, I'm going to focus primarily on small, artsy fartsy quilts. Wall hangings, table toppers, sock drawer liners ;-)

Which brings me to the New Years Resolutions I will make. For years, I have had one standard NYR – to make no new years resolutions! This year, I'm actually making a for real bone fide resolution. Really. I hereby resolve that beginning Monday, 5 January 2015, I will put in a full day in the office – 9-5, with time out for lunch – in which I will work on my writing projects. I will do this 4 days a week, with the other days being devoted to quilting. I also resolve not to feel guilty if the days get swapped around now and then.

I further resolve to work on writing projects already started, and not spend too much time on new ones, other than to get the ideas down. Granny Hitt* has several murders she needs to commit, each requiring its own story. Jiang Li has a queen she needs to find and to guard, and the Forgotten Daughter needs some serious editing. Then there is the book of poems about the Whitman Massacre that needs a lot of work and re-writing.

Further, I resolve to spend no more than 1 hour on FaceBook, and only at night, and ONLY if I've done my writing for the day! (Or quilting)

So there you have it. A quick wrap up of my year and my hopes and dreams for 2015. What about you? What resolutions, if any, are you making that you'd like to share?


*You can read about Granny Hitt in the international anthology, Short & Happy (or not) available from your local bookseller or the publisher, S&H Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment