A Weekly Offering of This n That

Rainy Day is my alter ego. She is the little angel that sits on one shoulder and whispers in my ear to forgo that 6" piece of triple chocolate fudge with the four scoops of ice cream on it; she is also the little devil who sits on my other shoulder and convinces me that I can eat just one bite of each and be satisfied, and then laughs with such great abandon when in fact, I eat the whole thing, she falls off my shoulder. Mostly, Rainy Day helps me see the humor in living and, mostly, she encourages me down the right path. Not necessarily the straight and narrow one (how fun is that?) but the path that offers the most adventure and fun.


Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Happy Holidays

Unless you're a true and bona fide Procrastinator, by now you should at least have most of your gifts, if not wrapped and or mailed, at least ready to wrap and or mail. And, at this late date, the books had better not go Media Mail if you expect them to arrive by this Gift Day.

Some of my friends celebrate the Solstice, which falls on the 21st of December this year. (A couple thousand years ago, in the Mediterranean region, the Winter Solstice fell on the 25th.) Some of my friends celebrate on the 25th, some started early with Hannukah, and some will wait until Kwaanza. It looks like my family will do gifts on or about the 28th, as at least one of them has to work.

My celebration will start this Friday when Favorite Grandson comes to town. He'll be at his mom's for a couple of days and then over here with me until he's ready to go home, sometime after the 1st.

Alas, this blog will probably be somewhat sporadic for a while. I will get back to writing, on a more or less full-time basis as soon as Favorite Grandson goes home. I will be doing some research for a couple of novels, but writing a series of short stories, which I hope to sell, and eventually put together in a collection. My protagonist is an old fartess, called Granny Hitt. The 'Granny' part came when she became a grandmother, the Hitt came earlier, when she married Ruben Hitt. Alas, Ruben is now deceased, and Granny is bored, and she hires on as a 'hit man' for the Mafia. But she has scruples. Sometimes.

I also want to work on some quilting projects. Mostly 'small quilts' — no more bed quilts. I've run out of places to store them ;-) Well, there might be a couple that I've already bought the pattern and material for. I'm eager to try my hand at smaller, more artsy fartsy quilts.

Speaking of small quilts, this is my latest. It is a bed scarf for my SOC n BOC (sister/brother of choice). This is just the top, and when quilted, edged, and complete, it will be about 118" long and maybe 27" wide to go over the foot of their king-sized bed.



I hope you have the Happiest of Holidays ever. Whatever holiday you celebrate and observe, whatever day you exchange gifts, may they be given with hugs, filled with love, surrounded by peace, and may joy fill your new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment